I am constantly trying to find healthier snacks (more on that soon). A few weeks ago I tried to make homemade cheese crackers (you know, the salty yellow cheese crackers that typically come in a fish, bunny, or duck shape). I had envisioned my two boys eating these 100% whole grain version of their favorite snack by the handful, thinking they were a treat. Nope. My picky eaters struck once again and ate only a couple crackers before proclaiming that they wanted a different snack. Their loss – everyone else thoroughly enjoyed eating these crackers!
These cheesy crackers are a delicious anytime snack. They pair well with minestrone soup for an easy lunch and are an addictive cocktail party snack. You can be fancy and make cute shapes with a cookie cutter or simply cut the dough into squares using a knife. I added a sprinkle of ‘everything bagel’ topping (equal parts white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, and finely ground sea salt) to make them extra tasty.
Recipe makes approximately 200 little crackers, adapted from Smitten Kitchen.
- 12-oz sharp white cheddar, grated
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- finely ground sea salt or favorite seed or herb topping (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor with the blade attachment, mix until dough combines into a ball ~ one to two minutes
- Transfer dough a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until firm (20 minutes to overnight)
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thickness on a sheet of parchment paper with a lightly floured rolling pin
- Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut out desired shapes
- Transfer cut crackers to a fresh piece of parchment paper for baking, leaving a ½ inch space between each cracker
- Sprinkle lightly with finely ground sea salt or topping of your choice, if using
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until just starting to brown at edges
Pin recipe for later:
Nutrition information (30 grams, approximately 10 crackers):
- 140 calories
- 0 g added sugar
- 1 g fiber
- 5 g protein
- 110 mg sodium