Summers in North Carolina are often too hot to turn on the oven, and we are frequently too busy to fuss with elaborate meals. Instead, summer meals in our house typically involve a grilled protein and a salad or two.
I try to have a revolving menu of make-ahead salads that are packed with protein and fiber (whole grains or beans) and can be assembled in just a few minutes. This chickpea confetti salad is one of our summer staples. It was initially inspired from extra chickpeas, tahini, and lemon juice leftover from making homemade hummus. I mixed in some chopped red bell pepper, parsley, and red onion to add some color and crunch. This salad goes particularly well with grilled lemon rosemary chicken.
- 2 14-oz cans of chickpeas, drained
- 2 red bell peppesr*, diced
- 1 bunch parsley, finally chopped
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 3/4 cup lemon tahini dressing
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve. Salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
*Note: I choose to purchase organic tomatoes. Read more on pesticides and produce.
Pin recipe for later…