Everyone in my family loves strawberries. We are fortunate to live less than 10 minutes from a local u-pick farm that doesn’t use any pesticides on their berries, so we go strawberry picking at least a couple times a season… which means during April and May we are swimming in strawberries. Aside from adding anything we can with them (granola, pancakes, desserts), we like to dry strawberries for school snacks and trail mix.
I don’t have a food dehydrator (unlike my mom – who taught me how to dry strawberries decades ago – and still keeps our family supplied with most of our dried strawberries), but my oven has a dehydrate setting. Don’t worry if your oven doesn’t – just a low temp and some patience is all it takes to create this delicious snack! Oh, and your kitchen will smell amazing…
- Preheat oven to 140°F
- Wash strawberries thoroughly
- Slice strawberries into uniform slices, approximately 1/8 inch thick)
- Arrange strawberries on parchment or silicone baking liner, leaving space between each slice
- Bake in oven for approximately 2 hours, until tops are dry
- Flip strawberries over so and bake for another hour or so until fully dehydrated
- Once cool, store in an airtight container
*Note: Unless I can find pesticide-free berries from a local farm, I choose to purchase organic strawberries. Read more on pesticides and produce.
Pin recipe for later…