Blueberry muffins are, to me, the iconic muffin of childhood. Cake-like and pocketed with juicy blueberries, they are often made solely with refined white flour and contain as much added sugar as cake. What is the difference between most muffins and cupcakes? Usually just frosting. Not these muffins!
These whole grain blueberry muffins are made with 100% whole grain flours but are not heavy because of the oat flour. They are not overly sweet and contain a good quantity of blueberries. If you prefer sweeter muffins, you can always sprinkle a small amount of turbinado sugar on top prior to baking.
Note: I use frozen blueberries when baking. They are typically sweeter than fresh berries and less expensive. And once blueberries are baked, it is hard to tell the difference between fresh or frozen.
Recipe makes 15 muffins.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour (I make this myself by blending old fashioned oats)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup milk (I use whole milk in this recipe, 1% also works just fine)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1½ cups frozen blueberries*, thawed with liquid strained
*Note: I choose to purchase organic or certified pesticide-free blueberries. Read more on pesticides and produce.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Line muffin pans with paper cups
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium size bowl
- Combine wet ingredients (eggs, oil, vanilla, lemon juice, milk and maple syrup) in a separate bowl and mix until well blended
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well combined (mixture will be thin, and then thicken as oats absorb liquid)
- Add the thawed blueberries and stir until just combined
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter into prepared muffin cups (an ice cream scoop makes this easy and uniform)
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffin comes out clean
- Let muffins cool completely before serving
Nutrition information (per muffin):
- 107 calories
- 4 g added sugar
- 2 g fiber
- 3 g protein
- 143 mg sodium