Crispy baked popcorn shrimp are a healthy alternative to traditional popcorn shrimp. Quick and easy to make, these whole wheat panko crusted shrimp are a great party appetizer or a fun weeknight dinner.
Healthier popcorn shrimp
Why are these crunchy and flavorful popcorn shrimp healthier? First, they are baked and not fried.
Only two tablespoons of olive oil are needed to make these crispy shrimp instead of the normal 6 + cups of oil needed for deep frying.
Also, instead of using plain breadcrumbs, these shrimp get their crunchy texture from whole wheat panko crumbs.
The panko crumbs add a delicious crunch and substituting whole grains for refined grains is always a good idea.
Quick and Easy Healthy Popcorn Shrimp Recipe
These whole wheat panko crusted shrimp are a delicious, healthier appetizer for a party.
I like to serve them with Pineapple Pepper Confetti Salsa. The sweet and savory combination of the salsa pairs nicely with the crunchy baked popcorn shrimp.
Healthy Popcorn Shrimp
Crispy and delicious, these healthy popcorn shrimp make an excellent party appetizer or quick weeknight meal.
- 1 pound medium shrimp (40-50 shrimp per pound), peeled and deveined
- 1.5 cup whole wheat panko crumbs
- 1.5 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly coat with 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Combine spices, panko crumbs and olive oil in a medium size shallow bowl
- Beat the eggs in a medium size shallow bowl
- Working with 6 to 8 shrimp at a time, dip them in the egg and then coat with the panko crumb mixture
- Place the breaded shrimp on prepared baking sheet
- Bake in oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until panko crumbs are golden brown and shrimp are cooked through
- Serve immediately with Pineapple Pepper Confetti Salsa
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 271
Whole wheat panko crumbs
Whole wheat panko crumbs are a staple in our house. However, they can be hard to locate, even at specialty grocery stores. I purchase whole wheat panko crumbs online (buy the case… they are a staple).
A quick and easy substitute to whole wheat panko crumbs can be made by in a food processor with just Triscuit crackers.
Pin recipe for later:
Friday 5th of January 2018
These popcorn shrimp sound delicious! I love that they are healthier so I can feel better about giving them to my kids!
Thursday 4th of January 2018
İ love this! it seems simple to make yet delicious. Great as finger food as well. thank you for the idea.
Sunday 31st of December 2017
This looks easy and delicious. Panko is my favorite breadcrumb, it always comes out so crispy. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe!
Saturday 30th of December 2017
I love Panko, and just saw the whole wheat kind in the grocery store the other day. I'm going to have to give them a try, and will definitely be making this recipe
Saturday 30th of December 2017
That is why I have been getting wholewheat panko crumbs lately instead of regular breadcrumbs, it really turns crispy food into healthier bites together with the baking instead of frying food technique. I know I would go crazy for your popcorn shrimp bites, I LOVE shrimps!