Everyone in my family loves strawberries. We are fortunate to live less than 10 minutes from a local u-pick farm that doesn’t use any pesticides on their berries, so we go strawberry picking at least a couple times a season. So we always have super sweet strawberries in our house in the late spring months. Aside from adding them to many favorite breakfasts and treats (homemade granola, protein packed pancakes, or healthier desserts), I like to dry strawberries for school snacks and trail mix.
I do not have a food dehydrator (unlike my mom – who taught me how to dry strawberries decades ago), but my oven has a dehydrate setting. Don’t worry if your oven does not. A low temperature and some patience is all it takes to create this delicious snack! Oh, and your kitchen will smell amazing.
Also, the dried strawberries will only be as sweet as the fresh strawberries used to make them. Though strawberries are available year round, these dried strawberries taste best when made with super sweet strawberries during strawberry season.
Oven Dried Strawberries
- Preheat oven to 140°F
- Wash strawberries thoroughly
- Slice strawberries into uniform slices, approximately 1/8 inch thick)
- Arrange strawberries on parchment or silicone baking liner, leaving space between each slice
- Bake in oven for approximately 2 hours, until tops are dry
- Flip strawberries over so and bake for another hour or so until fully dehydrated
- Once cool, store in an airtight container
*Note: Unless I can find pesticide-free berries from a local farm, I choose to purchase organic strawberries. Read more on pesticides and produce.
Pin recipe for later…