Summer in North Carolina is hot and humid. So we grill a lot once the temperature starts to rise. Because really, who wants to spend their summer in a hot kitchen?
This Ginger Turmeric Chicken is one of my favorites for summer cookouts. It is super flavorful and best when prepared in advance. And it scales really well if you are going to feed a crowd or want to meal-prep and freeze super-easy future meals.
I like the ginger turmeric marinade best with boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Thighs stay juicer and showcase the flavors of the marinade well. However, chicken breasts, shrimp, and tofu are delicious when prepared with this ginger turmeric marinade. Just make sure to shorten the grill time appropriately so they don’t dry out!
I hope you enjoy this ginger turmeric chicken as much as we do. To make it a complete meal, I usually serve the chicken on a bed of baby spinach topped with quinoa. It is especially delicious when paired with this Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce! Recipe adapted from a Sur La Table cooking class recipe (unavailable online).
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 inch fresh turmeric, peeled (or 1 teaspoon powder turmeric)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs*
- Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender and process until finely chopped
- Add marinade to 2 lbs chicken thighs in a glass bowl (or ziplock bag) and marinade for overnight in refrigerator
- Heat grill to medium heat
- Remove chicken from marinade and place on the grill turning occasionally until fully cooked, about 10-12 minutes depending on the heat of your grill
*Note: I choose to purchase chicken that was raised without antibiotics.
Did I mention leftovers are amazing on top of salads for a quick and easy meal? Especially with the Creamy Cilantro Lime Sauce as a salad dressing!
Pin recipe for later: