This arugula lentil salad with is a nutritional powerhouse. Made with oven roasted tomatoes, avocado and cumin toasted pine nuts, this salad is a delicious combination of chewy, creamy and crunchy textures and sweet, salty and tangy flavors. Delicious and filling, this hearty lentil arugula salad makes a great lunch or light dinner.
I often make the main components of this arugula lentil salad ahead of time. I roast the tomatoes while also roasting veggies for another meal (like my family’s favorite hidden-veggie chili). The lentils can be cooked multiple days in advance and stored in the refrigerator. And I try to always have some Lemon Tahini Salad Dressing in my refrigerator to add to a quick lunch or dinner salad.
This recipe serves 4 to 6 people.
Arugula Lentil Salad Recipe
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Cumin Toasted Pine Nuts
Prepare Lemon Tahini Dressing
Assemble the Salad
Nutrition Information: Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266
Why this Arugula Lentil Salad is a nutritional powerhouse:
- Arugula is a cruciferous vegetable. Did you know that arugula is cruciferous vegetable? Yes! Arugula is in the same veggie family as broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. So make sure you keep this nutritious green veggie in your salad-making rotation. Baby arugula has a milder flavor than full grown arugula, which can taste peppery.
- Cumin and arugula are powerful anti-inflammatory foods. Read more on anti-inflammatory foods here
- Lentils and Avocados are good sources of fiber (1)
- Lentils, arugula and avocados are good sources of potassium (2)
- The healthy fats in this salad will help you absorb more of the fat soluble vitamins in the vegetables. Did you know that some fats are now considered part of a healthy diet? Also, our bodies need fat to help the absorb fat-soluble vitamins found in vegetables. Read more about the research showing a proportional relationship between the amount of fat included in a salad and the amount of vitamins absorbed.
Tested and delicious substitutions for this Arugula Lentil Salad:
- Oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes are a delicious substitution for oven roasted tomatoes if you are short on time (use about ~ 1/2 cup)
- Pre-cooked lentils are available at Trader Joe’s and can be used in place of the French lentils (there will be a slight compromise in texture and flavor, but the salad is still delicious)
- Sprouted lentils can be used in place of cooked lentils and add a delicious, crunchy texture. I like adding uncooked sprouted lentils, though you can quickly steam them if you like.
Other healthy and delicious salad recipes you will love:
Pin recipe for later: