This Ginger Turmeric Chicken is one of my family’s favorite summer meals. The ginger turmeric marinade creates grilled chicken that is juicy and intensely flavorful. The recipe is also perfect for summer cookouts since it can be easily doubled (or tripled!) to feed a crowd.
This versatile ginger turmeric marinade is dairy-free, gluten-free and Whole30 compliant!
When grilling, I typically use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. Thighs stay juicy and showcase the flavors of this ginger turmeric marinade well. However, chicken breasts, shrimp, and even tofu are delicious when prepared with this marinade. Just be sure to adjust the grilling time accordingly!
Grilled Ginger Turmeric Chicken Recipe
Ginger turmeric chicken that is gluten-free and dairy-free and loaded with incredible flavor!
- 2 inch piece fresh ginger (peeled)
- 1 inch piece fresh turmeric (peeled or 1 teaspoon powder turmeric)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut aminos (low sodium tamari or soy sauce can also be used)
- 2 lbs chicken thighs * (boneless skinless)
- sea salt (to taste)
- sweet red peppers (optional, to garnish)
Combine ginger, turmeric, garlic, cumin, paprika, dried oregano, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and coconut aminos in a food processor or blender. Process to make a thick paste
Add marinade to 2 lbs chicken thighs in a glass bowl (or ziplock bag) and marinade overnight in refrigerator
Heat gas grill to medium heat
Remove chicken from marinade and place on the grill turning occasionally until fully cooked, about 12-14 minutes depending on the heat of your grill
Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve
Note: preparation time includes overnight marination.
*Note: Did you know that 80% of the antibiotics sold in the United States are for livestock? This is why I choose to purchase chicken raised without antibiotics.
Ginger Turmeric Chicken serving suggestions
For a simple summer meal, I typically serve this grilled chicken on a bed of organic baby spinach along with a side of cauliflower rice or quinoa. The grilled ginger turmeric chicken is also delicious when served with a creamy cilantro lime sauce or dairy-free cilantro lime crema.
Tested and delicious substitutions for the ginger turmeric marinade:
- Low sodium tamari can be used in place of coconut aminos (recipe will be gluten-free, but not Whole30 compatible)
- Low sodium soy sauce can be used in place of coconut aminos (recipe will not be gluten-free or Whole30 compatible)
- White distilled vinegar can be used in place of apple cider vinegar
Nutrition information (per serving, 6 servings):
- 241 calories
- 0 g added sugar
- 0 g fiber
- 30 g protein
- 367 mg sodium
- 13 g fat
This recipe was originally published on June 28, 2017. The recipe has since been updated with refreshed photos and enhanced recipe instructions.