Roasted green beans with harissa are a crispy and delicious with a kick of spice. These harissa crusted green beans are an easy weeknight side dish, and are the perfect complement to a simple roasted chicken. Or add them to your favorite veggie packed Buddha Bowl!
Plus, these roasted harissa green beans are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, vegan, keto friendly, and Whole30 compatible!
Roasted Green Beans with Harissa Sauce
Have you ever cooked with harissa? It is an African chili-based paste made with chili peppers, bell peppers, and a few spices. So it is naturally a bit spicy!
If you like spicy, you have to try this harissa green green bean recipe! The simple 3-ingredient harissa lemon sauce adds a spicy kick to the roasted green beans while not being overpowering.
First, arrange the washed green beans on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.
While the green beans are roasting, mix together harissa paste, avocado oil and lemon juice to make the harissa sauce.
Remove the roasted green beans from the oven, and top with the harissa sauce.
Ensure all green beans are coated with the harissa sauce and roast for 10 more minutes.
Transfer crispy roasted harissa green beans to a serving dish and enjoy!
Why this green bean recipe is a healthy choice:
- Two key ingredients in harissa, chili peppers and sweet bell peppers, are an excellent source of antioxidants. Did you know that some of the foods we eat can help fight inflammation? (learn more about anti-inflammatory foods)
- Veggie recipes prepared with a healthy oil helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins
- One simple way to eat more veggies is to make them delicious! Want to learn more? Check-out our research-based post on easy way to eat more veggies
- Moderate amounts of healthy fats, like those found in avocado oil, are considered part of a healthy lifestyle (learn more about what what fats are considered healthy by nutritional experts)
Easy Roasted Green Bean Side-Dish
It takes less than a minute to whip up the lemon harissa sauce that adds a delicious, spicy kick to these roasted green beans.
Tips & Tricks for Spicy Roasted Green Beans with Harissa
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup
- Make sure you taste your harissa it before you cook with it! Harissa is supposed to be spicy. However, the level of spiciness varies widely and you may need to increase or decrease the amount of harissa depending on personal taste. I like to use Trader Joe’s Harissa Paste
- Regular green beans can be used in place of french style haricot verts. However, you will likely need to increase the roasting time
- Do not use frozen green beans in place of fresh for this recipe. Frozen green beans will be too soggy, even after roasting. Have you ever wondered if frozen veggies are as healthy as fresh? Check out this post comparing vitamin content in fresh and frozen veggies!
Roasted Green Beans with Harissa Recipe
- 1 lb fresh green beans, washed
- 1 tbsp avocado oil, or other neutral tasting healthy oil
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Spread washed green beans on parchment lined baking sheet and roast in oven for 10 minutes
- Whisk together avocado oil, harissa paste, and lemon juice
- Coat roasted green beens in harissa sauce and return baking sheet to oven
- Roast harissa coated beans for an additional 10 minutes
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
I prefer long and thin French style green beans (haricot verts) for this recipe. If you use traditional American green beans, you may have to increase roasting time by 5 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 64mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information provided and calculated by Nutritionix
Other Quick & Delicious Paleo and Whole30 Roasted Veggie Recipes:
Pin recipe for later: